Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Syrupy sweet Japanese pop music

I'm translating a song by Ootsuka Ai.


I've chosen her song "Frienger" as kinda an example of how jpop lyrics are so cute and harmless compared with western pop (breakups, bitches & hos, being depressed etc.) I'll probably do this with a few songs over time just for fun.

There are notes (marked with "*") and photos after the lyrics to explain.

Ootsuka Ai - "Frienger"

Stuffing my face with milky bread* and my hand reaches out for a chocolate pie*
I wanna eat one more, I wanna eat one more
Let's set our hearts free and have fun chatting
I wanna drink one more, I wanna drink one more

After our peach-pink love troubles, I want to kiss* again
The blue sky heals our fatigue from work, everyday is "dance & fight!!*"

If there's anything bad, as much as I can, I'll come at anytime to rescue you
I don't need anything, you can just do as you like, anytime I'll be there for you

Homemade musubi-lunch*, what's inside is totally russian roulette*
I wanna eat one more, I wanna eat one more
Girls are sweet and strong, let's bloom with a toast
I wanna drink one more, I wanna drink one more

We need all kinds of energy, replenished by nature
The yellow bonds of happiness, thank you and sorry!
If you're feeling lost, do what you feel, I'll always be your friend
In this world of all possible stories, I'll always catch you

It burns more just by being alive - that's the red heart
Being alone is a bother so everyday frienger* fight!!

If there's anything bad, as much as I can, I'll come at anytime to rescue you
I don't need anything, you can just do as you like, anytime I'll be there for you


*Notes:
Here's the confectionary/pastry known as 'milkbread' in Japan

Here's "chocolate pie"

chuu - she uses this noise which is the onomatopoeia for kissing in Japanese (if you say it your lips make a kiss shape), and it's similar to the way they picture octopuses:

fight - this is used in Japanese to mean "do your best"

musubi-lunch - musubi means 'tied' like as in a bow, hence the wrapped rice as below. this is usually a boxed lunch -

russian roulette - this is used in japanese to just mean something like taking a chance - the lunch is boxed, so you don't know what's inside until you open it. a fabulous culinary mystery of excitement!

frienger - this is her combination of "friend" and "ranger" - I'd say maybe she's saying we should all be "friendly rangers" in life

No comments: