Saturday, September 30, 2006

Superior service

Today, as I ordered lunch delivery service from my computer, I started thinking  about the level of service I'm used to.

Here, it's certainly convenient. I can order a meal from any style of food in the world, with multiple choices for each. My lunch today was from my well loved New York style of food.

Then, I can order delivery liquor or flowers, laundry, cleaning products, jewelry safes, well, pretty much anything. All of this is, of course, available in the vending machines all around here. So in case I don't feel like walking out to a vending machine, I can have it delivered to my door.

Anyway, one nice thing happened when I ordered lunch today.

The delivery guy called me to ask where i am.  Turns out i had entered the wrong address. There was no accusation in that regard. I realized it myself. But we're used to being spoiled here, so according to him it's some computer mistake.

Then 5 minutes later i get a call from the restaurant. " we're very sorry, the mail must've arrived incorrectly. we understand your actual address is blahblah? okay well the food got a little cold from the delivery guy going to the wrong address so now we're making a new one for you. is it okay to wait a little bit more?"

That's very different from what I'm used to elsewhere.

Here, people are just supposed to take pride in their work and do a good job with a smile. its just accepted. There's no tipping here. People are thankful to have the job they have, able to make money, able to even make other people happy. All the sales people here are really informed and
helpful and of course theres no commission and no pressure to sell up.

You walk into a convenient store here (I'm boycotting 7-11 by the way) and every employee in the store says together 'thank you for coming' You get thanked for your purchase, handed the bag directly (they wait til you have a grip on it before letting go) And everyone thanks you again when you leave.

Buy something at a department store? they wrap it nicely and protected, if it's a food or drink, they'll pack it in dry ice to make sure it stays cold. They'll give you some bonuses in the bag, walk around from the counter to where you are standing, bow and hand it to you with both hands extended. Unless of course it's maybe more than $50 or maybe heavy, then they'll
carry it for you to the exit of the store.

It's little things like that.

No comments: