Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Japanese Racism (Part 5)

Note: Please see Part 1 or this will not make any sense at all!
http://insidejapan.blogspot.com/2007/03/japanese-racism-part-1.html

So, with all of that said..

His second bad day. I'm going to use most of the sentences from the original post, but not in order, so that you can follow my logic.

"Minutes later she’s walking towards me, this time staring right at me doing the same motions - and this time she’s ... making curse-like motions."

Okay, this is not some ancient tribe believing in voodoo. curse-like motions? What the hell does that mean? There are no magical curses in Japan except in the imaginative videogames. These Japanese people are some strange backwards people believing in curses? Probably 90% of the electronics in your house right now including the components of your computer that you're using to view this were designed/innovated/manufactured here.

Yeah, I left a part out. Let me re-do it...

"Minutes later she’s walking towards me, this time staring right at me doing the same motions - and this time she’s mumbling something and making curse-like motions."

Mumbling something, you say? Perhaps it was Japanese? I can't say for sure. It could be that she was a mumbling crazy old woman. Is that racist!?

Okay, so maybe she wasn't crazy. Maybe she was using racist Japanese. Let's see what this person has to say about that:

"But I can’t shake the feeling there’s a connection here, because in my 13+ years of living on this island, I’ve never experienced such racism before."

Okay, this person has been in Japan 13 years. If they don't speak Japanese, well, please look through my earlier posts on cultural understanding and its relationship with language. If this person can actually speak Japanese (after 13 years in the country!?!?) then we can only say that the above hypothesis is right - she was a crazy old mumbling incoherent woman, having nothing to do with racism. If this person can't speak Japanese, I wonder how they would feel living in America without speaking English. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

No comments: